POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pinewood Derby Phase I (143 KB) : Re: Pinewood Derby Phase I (143 KB) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 22:29:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pinewood Derby Phase I (143 KB)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 22 Feb 2001 04:14:51
Message: <3A94D889.58B131A4@gmx.de>
Cris Williams wrote:

> My younger son's Cub Scout Pinewood Derby is coming up and I thought it
> would be fun to model the car before we build it.  So far I've done the
> wheel and have started on the axle.  The image below was modeled in Moray
> 3.3, uses MegaPov 0.6, antialiasing, radiousity (I think), and reflection.
> It took about 4hrs 15min to render on a AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz.  DUDE!  Isn't
> that an unrealistically long time for an image like this?  It has ALOT of
> CSG, but the render time surprised me.  I've heard bounding mentioned here
> before but don't really have a good understanding of how to use it.  Anyone
> have any suggestions about how to decrease the render time, or about
> improvements on the wheel?

It's not that astonishing IMO, since you are using several light sources,
reflection, complex objects, ...

Maybe try turning off those things one after the other and check the
render time.

BTW, the wood texture looks a bit strange with the concentric rings
(normal?)

> Does MegaPov need a command line switch to
> actually turn on radiousity?

Yes, you have to add '+qr' to turn it on in addition to the radiosity{}
block.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>